[Beowulf] OT: Book about High Frequency Trading

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Apr 1 21:49:21 PDT 2014

On 04/01/2014 11:35 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> Somewhat off-topic:
>
> Did any of you watch 60 Minutes Sunday, or watch The Daily Show Tonight?
> Michael Lewis was on both shows discussing his new book about
> high-frequency trading, 'Flash Boys':
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Boys-Wall-Street-Revolt/dp/0393244660
>
> Apparently, it's causing quite a stir in Wall Street. Google for
> yourselves to read some of the many criticisms of Michael Lewis and the
> book.
>
> We now return to your regularly scheduled beowulf discussions...

Understand that the financial types drive lots of good things very hard
in HPC and cluster spaces.

Zerohedge has interesting takes on these things.  Have a look at this:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-01/bats-ceo-shame-you-letting-everyone-it

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-01/if-hft-algos-were-people-theyd-be-perp-walked

and he takes many others to task as well ... The zerohedge tweets, not
showing up as full articles are ... interesting ...

Its very interesting stuff.

The HPC angles are many.  These guys drive latency down, and hard.  They
drive devops, security, auditability.  They need every greater computing
density, tremendous storage density and responsiveness.  I've not seen
much MPI, but I see lots of things like pub-sub models.  They create
languages and love efficiency.  They push limits on everything.

Very interesting HPC group.  Not your prototypical beowulf group, but
certainly in that same inventive model.  Start with something we can get
lots of, and figure out what we need to do to make it work, insanely fast.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com