[Beowulf] Nvidia and IBM create GPU interconnect for faster supercomputing

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 1 08:38:54 PDT 2014

On 03/30/2014 06:53 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:

> On 28/03/14 03:09, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:
>
>> However, the main question is: will that work with other chipsets
>> (Intel, AMD) as well or will that only work with the IBM chips?
> I guess given the IBM Lenovo deal IBM likely have no interest on their
> part, so I suppose it'll come down to whether Intel and/or AMD feel
> its worth their time investing in it.
>
> Given that AMD and nVidia are both ARM licensees perhaps they may
> choose to go down that path to keep Intel out in the cold?

Why would IBM/NVIDIA want this to work with Intel/AMD chips? As a
business strategy, I think they want to compete with Intel/AMD in the
HPC market. Keeping this technology limited to IBM/NVIDIA collaborations
can give them a competitive advantage with Intel. Look at the advantage
IBM's networking gave the Blue Gene systems.

Besides, Intel has been buying up interconnect companies, so they're
probably working on their own competitor to this. Why would they want to
compete with their own products?

--
Prentice