[Beowulf] Heterogeneous, intermitent beowulf cluster administration

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 16:58:52 PDT 2013

On 09/26/2013 06:25 AM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> Hi, Ivan.
>
> I'm a nay-sayer in this kind of scenario.  I believe your staff time,
> and the time of your lab users, is too valuable to spend on
> dual-classing desktop lab machines.

I'm with Gavin here - hardware has gotten too cheap for this to be
viable in most cases. Furthermore, too many research/computational jobs
benefit from environments distinct from ideal desktops (whether that's
core count, RAM, interconnect, or operating system) that you'll probably
only be satistfying a small subset of the job requests you receive.

Skylar