[Beowulf] Heterogeneous, intermitent beowulf cluster administration

Gavin W. Burris bug at wharton.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 26 06:25:42 PDT 2013

Hi, Ivan.

I'm a nay-sayer in this kind of scenario.  I believe your staff time,
and the time of your lab users, is too valuable to spend on
dual-classing desktop lab machines.

If your lab is underutilized, I would spend staff time on figuring out
why and how to make the lab more effective as a destination for
prospective users.  If you need more cluster compute time, I would
invest funds into additional compute nodes, not into micromanaging the
lab machines.  Skilled sysadmin time is valuable.

Let's also consider the cost of electricity and cooling.  I doubt that
the lab machines and climate control are the most efficient in terms of
full-throttle HPC/HTC computing.  Electricity and cooling should be at
the top of your list for cost effective and green computing.  I would
instead have the lab machines suspend/sleep until they require automated
patching or desktop login.

Also, let's consider the user experience.  Cluster users will see jobs
killed and restarted; they will not be happy.  Lab users will see slow
and/or hung machines; they will stop coming to the lab.

Don't get me wrong, this is an interesting project, but one riddled with
pitfalls.  If the job is to support a computing lab, that should be goal
number one.

Cheers.