[Beowulf] Problems with Dell M620 and CPU power throttling

Bill Wichser bill at princeton.edu
Thu Sep 19 08:39:01 PDT 2013

We have tested using c1 instead of c0 but no difference.  We don't use
logical processors at all.  When the problems happens, it doesn't matter
what you set the cores for C1/C0, they never get up to speed again
without a power cycle/reseat.  We believe this to be something related
to power.  Maybe current limiting.

As I stated yesterday, after a complete chassis power cycle on Tuesday
Sept 10, the entire 37 chassis have been outperforming their 2.6GHz
ratings flawlessly.  I don't know if this is going to be the solution we
have been searching to find but it has certainly been a week and a half
of some very happy researchers!