[Beowulf] immersion cooling for ASIC Bitcoin miners

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Tue Nov 26 07:22:16 PST 2013

On 11/26/2013 07:22 AM, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> One of the pics shows a bubbling liquid surface, we've seen recently
> similar pics. From what I remember from past discussions on this very
> list, the bubbles are bad for heat transfer - it's OK to have them at
> or very near to the surface, but not down below. Has the physics
> changed behind my back ?

<queue non-physicist comment, 99% chance of being wrong>

I have heard (a long time ago, admittedly) from little overclocking
birdies that in poorly-designed or tightly-packed arrangements, putting
an aquarium bubbler or some such hacky bubbling mechanism allows you to
avoid the hotspots in the oil you would otherwise suffer from around
your main heating components (passively cooled bridges in home setups
are known issues here).  Overall bubbles don't help heat dissipation
(and may hurt it as suggested), but if your problem isn't the overall
temp of the tank but instead making sure the temp is fairly average
throughout, bubbles may help.  I've kept my mouth shut on the matter so
far because I have no proper training in the area to ground this
suggestion on.

<dequeue>

Going back to my storage hole now.

ellis