[Beowulf] Course: Node-level performance engineering, LRZ Garching, Dec. 3-4, 2013

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 6 07:02:57 PST 2013

----- Forwarded message from Georg Hager <Georg.Hager at rrze.uni-erlangen.de> -----

Date: Wed,  6 Nov 2013 15:44:32 +0100 (CET)
From: Georg Hager <Georg.Hager at rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
To: eugen at leitl.org
Subject: Course: Node-level performance engineering, LRZ Garching, Dec. 3-4, 2013

We are pleased to announce a retake of our successful two-day compact
course on

      "Node-Level Performance Engineering"

Date:
December 3, 2013, 09:00-17:00
December 4, 2013, 09:00-17:00

Place:
LRZ Garching
Boltzmannstr. 1
85748 Garching

Presenters: Prof. Gerhard Wellein and Dr. Georg Hager (RRZE)

Abstract:

This course is about performance engineering approaches on the compute node
level. Performance engineering as we define it is more than employing tools to
identify hotspots and bottlenecks. It is about developing a thorough
understanding of the interactions between software and hardware. This process
must start at the core, socket, and node level, where the code gets executed
that does the actual computational work. Once the architectural requirements
of a code are understood and correlated with performance measurements, the
potential benefit of optimizations can often be predicted. We introduce a
"holistic" node-level performance engineering strategy, apply it to different
algorithms from computational science, and also show how an awareness of the
performance features of an application may lead to notable reductions in
energy consumption.

Basic knowledge about parallel programming in Fortran or C is required.

A detailed agenda and a registration link can be found at:

http://www.lrz.de/services/compute/courses/2013-12-05_hnpf1w13

Looking forward to seeing you there,
Kind regards,
HPC at RRZE