[Beowulf] why we need cheap, open learning clusters

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue May 14 05:06:17 PDT 2013

> I use the term "personal workstation cluster" when describing a Limulus.
> The "workstation" implies a more technical machine.
>
> "personal supercomputer" works well for headlines, but I believe the terms
> "personal" and "supercomputer" are somewhat orthogonal.
>
> ---
> Not orthogonal if you have plenty of spare cash around.  I'm sure that if
> Larry Ellison wanted to put a Beowulf in one of the houses he owns on
> Carbon Beach in Malibu for his personal amusement, it would be a "personal
> supercomputer"..
> (or, for that matter, an old Cray, with the stylish round couch...)

Good point, I also have the view that personal is something you can move
around with you. i.e. I moved my books and PC to a new office. Of course,
with enough money you can move anything. And by the way for the
history buffs "if Larry Ellison wanted to move his nCUBE from house
to house he could."

--
Doug

--