[Beowulf] why we need cheap, open learning clusters

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sun May 12 23:41:02 PDT 2013

This is why i have my own cluster at home!

Note that sensitive software you can never boinc.

Game software in general you don't want to boinc.
Only for open source software you can do something like that.

Note that the open source chess software that's there, that the
parameter tuning also gets done at closed doors.
The way how the parameter tuning happens is very secret, also for the
open source software.

In fact even the code that can modify the parameters of the open
source chessprograms is secret.
So the code htey spread of those programs doesn't have the code that
can modify the parameters.

Really 100% of all information how and what and where the parameter
tuning takes place gets kept secret.

Some (ex-)NASA/NCSA guys are very busy there though in those open
source projects.

Now from an algorithmic viewpoint those chess engines are not so
interesting of these guys,
just the way how the parameter tuning works is interesting,
yet if you ask online they just spread provable desinformation about
what happens there.

Having an oracle that chess technical information to which you can
tune the parameters to, is very important to have.

For *some* of the projects it seems they somehow use the same oracle,
which is very weird if you think about it.

Creating that oracle requires massive supercomputers...