[Beowulf] El Reg: AMD reveals potent parallel processing breakthrough

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun May 12 09:20:53 PDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 12:11 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> On 5/12/13 8:42 AM, "Geoffrey Jacobs" <gdjacobs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/12/2013 10:29 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> If you want to train a new jetfighter pilot, you're going to just
>>> give them a course how to drive a moped,
>>> and after they can drive a moped, you are going to give them a pilot
>>> license and wave good bye to
>>> them: "good luck to you flying your own Cessna".
>>>
>>> You gotta be joking with what you write here.
>>
>> No, you start them on a low fidelity flight simulator to see if they can
>> grasp the basic dynamics of flying.
>
> Or if they even like flying at all.

Way back when it was still around, I loved the Magic Edge (in Mountain
View) simulators.  One of the very few bars in the world with SGI Onyx
machines.  They ran the motion platform flight sims on it.  I seem to
remember having fun in those, but I usually wound up flying upside-down
or on my side.  That and a propensity for crashing into the water or
mountain sides suggested to me that I might lack the aptitude for more
than a video game.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO