[Beowulf] El Reg: AMD reveals potent parallel processing breakthrough

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed May 8 08:47:30 PDT 2013

On May 8, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> The game console business is a strange one, and I don't know that
> it has
> much to bring to the HPC world (whoa, that will provoke some comment).
> Sure, razzle dazzle graphics engines wind up in game consoles, but
> those
> same engines wind up in other form factors.   People DO build
> supercomputers with special purpose processors (physics engines),
> but the
> lack of availability of people to program them probably makes the
> original
> Beowulf concept of "commodity PC with fast interconnect" very, very
> attractive.  Ultimately, you need to get useful work done, and that
> takes
> fast hardware and people to program that hardware.
>
> For every person skilled at programming nVidia, or Cell, or
> whoosiewhatsit, you can probably hire 1000 people to grind out C
> code on a
> x86.

No no no Jim, that's not how it works at game companies.

Even the largest game companies, especially the largest ones.
They SELL games.

They are professional in MARKETING.

they have ARTISTS producing the graphics which is 99% of the product.

The game engine usually you just buy in from a small company which is
overhappy and overjoyed
they can get that deal from you. No royalties for them. Just $250k or
in that order you have to think of.

No nothing C/C++ programmers there in that game company. The salaries
they offer for programmers are too low.
About 50% lower than what the average IT guy gets over here.

You cannot produce good game engines with such programmers. You need
top programmers for that.
As the big game companies simply are not prepared to pay a good
salary, their only option there is to buy in
that game engine therefore.

If you speak about games, it's all about the graphics design and the
script/scenario anyway.

Kind Regards,
Vincent