[Beowulf] Programming for heartbeat

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Tue May 7 01:46:04 PDT 2013

On 1 May 2013 04:32, Caio Freitas de Oliveira <caio.freitaso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm completely new to all this beowulf thing. I've just now connected my
>> 2 PCs using Heartbeat + Pacemaker, but I don't have a clue of how to use
>> them as a single computer.

> Single computer - maybe google "Single System Image".

Very often, people come onto the Beowulf list with a very similar question - they are excited by the possibilities
of ganging together cheap PCs to make a single powerful machine. I think many people have asked this over the years,
and Caio is not alone.
I also think that a lot of the IT news stories don;t make the distinctions clear, unless you are 'already in the business'.
They talk of Top500 clusters having (say)  20 Terabytes of memory, and don't draw the distinction that this is distributed within a cluster.

So I say to Caio - pull up a chair, join us, and you will learn a lot.
As Andrew says, Google for SSI systems. Also look for the systems which use high performance interconnects and RDMA to join machines together into
A single memory space. Yes, that needs hardware.

Also let us steer you towards http://www.clustermonkey.net/

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.