[Beowulf] Programming for heartbeat

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon May 6 19:18:59 PDT 2013

> I'm completely new to all this beowulf thing. I've just now connected my
> 2 PCs using Heartbeat + Pacemaker,

heartbeat/pacemaner are for high-availability cluster,
whereas beowulf clustering is primarily about high-performance
or -throughput clustering.  a beowulf cluster may use HA
techniques, but normally only for support nodes (if at all.)
(for symmetry, HA clusters do not normally use MPI, and
rarely provide batch job schedulers, which is normal for HPC clusters).

> I've seen OpenMPI, but it uses Oracle's Message Passing Toolkit. Would
> you guys know how could I get a program to work in this beowulf?

MPI is a library which permits you to run a program on several
machines, and have them communicate and synchronize fairly readily.
this has nothing to do with HA...

does that help?

regards, mark hahn.