[Beowulf] Clustering VPS servers

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Mar 22 07:30:51 PDT 2013

On 03/22/2013 10:25 AM, Mark Hahn wrote:

> I'm a bit skeptical about whether non-distro kernels will make a
> noticable difference - if anyone has examples, I'd appreciate hearing
> about them.

For stability, performance, etc ... we try our best to avoid the distro
kernels.   Its fairly easy to crash a number of them under even moderate
file/block serving loads.  Couple this with a number of the ancient
drivers they use for RAID and network systems, it takes years before you
can take advantage of functionality (PCIe error reporting, bug fixes,
performance tweaks, etc.) in the latest drivers as compared with what
the distro kernels ship.

Do remember that the distro kernels are tweaked for their most common
workloads.  Which isn't HPC, storage, cloud, etc.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com