[Beowulf] Cloud Computing (WAS Clustering VPS servers)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 21 10:23:48 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 06:15:08PM +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> Who has jurisdiction over the data let's say if you end up in court.
> Country where the business is based or where the data in the cloud is
> stored.

In practice both Google and Amazon admitted that US right
has precedence, even for servers in the EU. Which means
that these cloud services are off-limits for any borderline
sensitive data, orelse you'll be in hot water yourself.

Which is why for our application we've ordered a virtual
host in Iceland (1984hosting.com or 1984.is if you speak
Islenska). As long as you don't do anything running afoul
of Icelandic law, you're protected by one of the best
data protection laws in the world.