[Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:07:04 PST 2013

On 03/01/2013 11:01 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
> No. Absolutely not.
> What is clearly much better is that HPC staff be provided with a steady supply of malt whisky for cooling,
> complete with a drain tap with which we can draw off frequent samples for analysis.
> For the finest thermal conductivity, this should of course be combined with a supply of chilled water from Scottish mountain streams.

Uhg.  Kill me.  Satan's taint, as I like to refer to it.  What you
really must mean here, is that a fine gin varietal is in use, which will
not only cool wonderfully but also retain that "new silicon" Christmas'y
tree smell throughout your HPC center.  Of course beside the drain tap
you'd have to similarly keep stores of fully carbonated (because flat is
just awful) tonic water and limes, to stave off the ever-present danger
of malaria and scurvy that regularly takes the lives of HPC staff.

Best,

ellis