[Beowulf] Infiniband PortXmitWait problems on IBM Sandybridge iDataplex with Mellanox ConnectX-3

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jun 12 07:17:43 PDT 2013

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 15:03:11 Christopher Samuel wrote:
> Hi folks,

In my experience bad cables / unstable fabric (on FDR + CX3 clusters) show up
by one or more of:

 * LinkDownedCounter ticking up
 * SymbolErrorCounter ticking up
 * ports at FDR10 not FDR (use for example iblinkinfo / ibdiagnet)

PortXmitWait is expected to increase (a lot).

Some ideas:

 * Use something simple but large scale to test IB before HPL.
 * Run HPL with show-as-you-go and plot that data (even but low == bad HPL
   config or low perf node / blas, uneven plot == bad fabric).
 * Run HPL on ethernet, you should be able to get >50% on 65 nodes unless your
   eth is too weak.
 * Make sure ranks are placed properly and consume expected amount of ram,
   also check pinning if used (top, lstopo --ps, taskset -p PID, ..).

With your config you should be able to get to ~90% HPL efficiency.

Cheers,
 Peter