[Beowulf] Bolts of Thunder and Upgraded desktop interconnect silicon....

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Jun 11 07:41:33 PDT 2013

Historically, Intel seems to endorse different interconnect technologies
and then come back to more middle stream. (e.g. IB -> GigE, Qlogic
purchase not withstanding)

You might make more headway with USB. USB networking has
been around for a while, I looked at it as a possible
low cost interconnect but decided 1 GigE (Intel controllers) is
pretty good, and 10 GigE is quite good for small scale HPC.
I got good numbers with low cost Chelsio NICs, Open-MX,
and older hardware, see http://goo.gl/5l2NJ.

I may take another look at USB3, but Ethernet just seems easier
and tends to ride the commodity wave quite well.

--
Doug

--
Doug