[Beowulf] Strange "resume" statements generated for GRUB2

Mikhail Kuzminsky mikky_m at mail.ru
Sun Jun 9 11:37:55 PDT 2013

 I have swap in sda1 and "/" in sda2 partitions of HDD. At installation of OpenSUSE 12.3 (where YaST2 is used) on my cluster node I found erroneous, by my opinion, boot loader (GRUB2) settings.

YaST2 proposed (at installation) to use
... resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC-... -part1 splash=silent ...

in configuration of GRUB2. This parameters are transmitted (at linux loading) by GRUB2 to linux kernel. GRUB2 itself, according my installation settings, was installed to MBR. I changed (at installation stage) -part1 to -part2, but after that YaST2 restored it back to - part1 value !
And after installation OpenSuSE boots successfully !
I found (in installed OpenSuSE) 2 GRUB2 configuration files w/erroneous -part1 setting.

I found possible interpretation of this behaviour in /var/log/messages. I found in this file the strings:
[Kernel] PM: Checking hibernation image partition /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_...-part1

[Kernel] PM: Hibernation Image partition 8:1 present
[Kernel] PM: Looking for hibernation image.
{Kernel] PM: Image not found (code -22)
[Kernel] PM: Hibernation Image partitions not present or could not be loaded

What does it means ? The hibernation image is writing to swap partition ?  But I beleive that hibernation is really suppressed in my Linux (cpufreq kernel modules are not loaded) , and my BIOS settings do not allow any changes of CPU frequency. BTW, my swap partition is small (4 GB, but RAM size is  8 GB).

Which GRUB2/resume settings are really right and why they are right ?

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center RAS
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow