[Beowulf] cpupower, acpid & cpufreq

Mikhail Kuzminsky mikky_m at mail.ru
Wed Jun 5 07:19:24 PDT 2013

I plan to perform Linux installation (openSuSE 12.3/x86-64, kernel 3.7.10) for HPC-cluster. I want not to change CPU frequencies in cluster nodes, and not to use cpufreq kernel modules.  Therefore I also don't want to use special power saving states of CPUs.

I performed fast test installation, and, of course, /lib/modules/`uname-r`/kernel/drivers/cpufreq directory is presented, but no cpufreq kernel modules are loaded, and /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 e.a. do not have cpufreq files. But generally - must I perform special "steps" to avoid cpufreq modules load ?

BTW, do somebody use acpid and/or cpupower RPM packages in cluster nodes ? If  "yes", why they are interesting ?

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Computer Assistance to Chemical Research Center RAS,
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry
Moscow