[Beowulf] AMD Roadrunner open compute motherboard

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 16 12:52:13 PST 2013

On 01/16/2013 10:20 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/16/amd_roadrunner_open_compute_motherboard/

The pictured 1U has what looks like 12 15k RPM fans (not including the
power supplies).  Or 6 double fans if you prefer.  In my experience
those fans burn an impressive amount of power (40-60 watts), make an
impressive amount of noise, and introduce substantial vibration into the
chassis.  That might be worth it, but they don't actually move much air.

I'd much rather have a quad node 2U chassis (with 2U fans).  When
compared to the picture 1U you get:
* 1/4th the power cables per node
* less chassis per node
* efficient fans/airflow
* better power efficiency
* a price that's often less than the four 1 U nodes.