[Beowulf] BIG 'ram' using SSDs - was single machine with 500 GB of RAM

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 9 12:22:31 PST 2013

We do a fair amount of "giant capture" or "giant playback" kinds of applications with very large buffers, which is sort of the same kind of thing.
It's a pain, and it usually requires special purpose hardware of one sort or another. Sure, it's "off the shelf", but it's small volume and expensive, and often, not delivered from stock, but built to order.
Commercially, you see this sort of thing for radar signal simulation or recording (e.g. digitizing/playback several GHz bandwidth with 10-16 bits/sample, so you need 100 Gbps kinds of rates, sustained for seconds)
Schemes we've used are "gangs of disk drives in parallel streaming", "large arrays of RAM on purpose designed cards"

You also see solid state recorders used for radar or hyperspectral imaging instruments on spacecraft.  The general philosophy is to record all the raw data and post process it on the ground with typical rates in the hundreds of Mbps to tens of Gbps.  The Shuttle Radar Topographic Mission in 2000 used boxes and boxes full of streaming tapes, for instance, to record continuous data sets lasting hours. They had two recorders that overlapped, and astronauts swapped tapes about every 15 minutes. About 8.6Tbyte of data collected in 99 hours for the C-band radar on just over 200 tapes.  The hardware for that was basically 10 years or more old, so the 200+ Mbps throughput was probably pretty much state of the art for the mid 90s. DesDynI is looking at streaming Gbps sorts of data rates back to Earth.

Jim Lux