[Beowulf] BIG 'ram' using SSDs - was single machine with 500 GB of RAM

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 9 05:27:26 PST 2013

What would be a rather interesting thought for building a single box
dirt cheap with huge 'RAM'
is the idea of having 1 fast RAID array of SSD's function as the 'RAM'.

You can get a bandwidth of 2 GB/s then to the SSD's "RAM" pretty
easily, yet for some calculations that bandwidth might be enough
given the fact you can then parallelize a few cores.

The random latency to such SSD raid might be 70 microseconds on
average, maybe even faster with specific SSD's.
Yet every SSD in fact has a bunch of possibilities
to do parallel reads simultaneously - of course not when using SATA
possibly as that's a sequential protocol. Yet maybe
the SSD's will serve you fast in such case for a bunch of reads "at
once". So bigger throughput meanwhile same latency.

Some calculations that prefer a few terabyte or more, which can deal
with the small bandwidth, yet speedup bigtime
having a bigger "RAM", they might then be real cheap to do with such
SSD raid setup.

One might need to optimize which file system gets used in such case
and the way how to access files - as one probably wants to
avoid global locks that avoid several requests pending simultaneously
to the SSD's.

At some of the 4 socket motherboards i saw that different SATA
connectors get hosted onto a different physical socket, so that might
win
another factor 2 on top of the above latency. Will require clever
filesystem setup, or maybe just write / read RAW to the disks.