[Beowulf] getting a phi, dammit.

Dr Stuart Midgley sdm900 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 07:29:43 PST 2013

Your guess is wrong.

Our experience with the Phi is streaks ahead of our experience with K10 (our code is single precision).  In the space of a few hours, you can have your codes running on the phi in native mode.  It is just a little computer sitting along.  ssh to it and your away.  You can get the entire GNU build system on it, run lustre or just about anything else that is on Linux.

It is VERY VERY cool.

You just can't do that with a K10/K20.  You have to completely re-architect your code/algorithm.

If your worried about cache-coherency, don't go near a K10/K20…  their memory model is completely screwed… and still has all the same short comings as the Phi from sitting on PCIE.

At least with the Phi, within a single system, its completely cache-coherent… all 60 cores (240 hardware threads).

If you want programming information, grab

    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Xeon-Coprocessor-Performance-Programming/dp/0124104142

The future?  It won't be that long before you get a Phi as the main cpu in a system.  I suspect the biggest issue is getting enough fast memory (16 channel GDDR5 is expensive… and its hard to get lots of that near the cpu).

--
Dr Stuart Midgley
sdm900 at sdm900.com