[Beowulf] Intel Phi musings

Richard Walsh rbwcnslt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 07:12:05 PST 2013

Hey Stuart,

I am interested in what sold you on the Phi.  My cursory look
suggested that using the Phi in Intel's offload mode (which
preserves the scalar performance) was not much easier to
program than writing in CUDA ... and that using the Phi as
a standalone processor while a programming convenience
suffers on scalar code.  Even that programming convenience
is limited by the fact that you have to think both in terms of
vectors and threads.

Also, the speed ups I have seen generally seem modest,
understanding that GPU performance hype is exaggerated.

Hearing what you like would be interesting.

Thanks,

Richard Walsh
Thrashing River Consulting