[Beowulf] follow up on SSD caching

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 18 08:02:13 PST 2013

On 02/18/2013 06:05 AM, Igor Kozin wrote:
> Intel Introduces Cache Acceleration Software
>
> http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2013/02/12/introducing-intel-cache-acceleration-software-for-use-with-intel-ssd-data-center-family
>
> It would be interesting to know if anyone had a success with it
> especially in the context of parallel file systems.
>
> The earlier discussion on the list may have been directly provoked by
> the news. If so apologies that I missed the connection.

Negative. My original post was not motivated by this. I was motivated by
just a 'what-if' line of thinking.

I just skimmed this press release, but this sounds similar to LSI's
CacheCade product which Dell is offering in it's PERC H700 card,
Fuision-io's directCache, or LSI's Nytro products

https://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/svradmin/6.4/en/OMSS/ecache.htm
http://www.fusionio.com/data-sheets/directcache/
http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/SolidState.aspx

My ideas was client-based caching of a parallel filesystem, which has a
significant flaw. One of those flaws that everyone overlooks, but when
someone finally brings up, seems amazingly obvious: cache coherency.

--
Prentice