[Beowulf] SSD caching for parallel filesystems

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 14:39:34 PST 2013

>>> So any SSD solution that's *not* used for latency sensitive workloads, it needs thousands of dollars worth of SSD's.
>>> In such case plain old harddrive technology that's at buy in price right now $35 for a 2 TB disk
>>> (if you buy in a lot, that's the actual buy in price for big shops and you nor i get them for that price of course), or $17.5 a
>>> terabyte, that's unbeatable in performance for storage and bandwidth.
>>
>> Right.  So since nobody I know can get them at that price, let's
>> continue talking about them in terms of their real price: 150-200
>> dollars.  I'm not going to have a discussion about imaginary pricing
>> nobody I know of has access to.
>
> pardon me?
>
> 3 TB raid disks delivering 200 MB/s if you just buy one are 120 euro
> here.

Vincent, You are directly contradicting yourself. First you state that
disks are "$35 for a 2 TB" and then "3 TB, 200MB/s" disks are €120.
Both these claims are patently bullshit.

Please can you take more care to check your sources and your opinions
when posting. Your posts, although occasionally entertaining,
generally serve to distract the thread into dismissing the hyperbolic
nonsense within. This gets old VERY quickly.