[Beowulf] SSD caching for parallel filesystems

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Fri Feb 8 09:07:32 PST 2013

On 02/08/2013 11:50 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> What would be the best way to bench mark these devices be it the sata
> ssd's or pcie. I have a sata based ssd in my netbook and its quite zippy.

Joe should have some nice suggestions here, but ultimately the best way
to benchmark it for OPs case is going to be with real applications.
Traditional I/O testers include:

- dd
- bonnie++
- iozone
- hdparm

But the issue with all of these is that, without working with large
amounts of data and over long periods of time, the real "differences" in
the SSD flash-translation layers doesn't come out.  If you are set on
synthetically testing it, my suggestion is to first fill the SSD half or
more than half with a mixture of random and sequential data.  Then, test
sequential and random data, both block-aligned and otherwise, both at
the same time and by themselves.  The best SSD solutions out there will
continue to perform even as they approach filled and even for heavy
random, unaligned, multi-stream accesses.  That's the real magic of the
FTL at work, and is why these controller companies sell for many
millions of dollars.

Best,

ellis