[Beowulf] SSD caching for parallel filesystems

Brock Palen brockp at umich.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:46:38 PST 2013

I have been thinking about this.  DDN's SFX looks like it might be able to do this at the block level.  I am trying to get them to think that they should do this.

I wonder how much one should have. A quick scan of my robinhood data base shows my 640TB lustre filesystem (50% full) 56TB of data is 1 month old or younger.

But maybe we don't care about 1 month, maybe 1 week, or 1 hour is enough.  I wonder if an intelligent system could use flash to deal with random write (common random re-reads). and keep the spinning rust getting nice large sequential writes. Getting a lot closer to peak of spinning rust.

Just my thoughts on this, from long time lurker.

Brock Palen
CAEN Advanced Computing
brockp at umich.edu