[Beowulf] Good demo applications for small, slow cluster

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 21 13:35:25 PDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Douglas Eadline wrote:

>> Sorts in general.. Good idea.
>>
>> Yes, we'll do a distributed computing bubble sort.
>>
>> Interesting, though.. There are probably simple algorithms which are
>> efficient in a single processor environment, but become egregiously
>> inefficient when distributed.
>
> e.g. The NAS parallel suite has an integer sort (IS) that is
> very latency sensitive.
>
> For demo purposes, nothing beats parallel rendering.
> There used to be a PVM and MPI POVRay packages
> that demonstrated faster completion times as more nodes were
> added.

Yeah, but the last time I tried it, it was so fast on a single CPU that
it was hard to see any real benefit any more.  Moore's Law is a
bitch...;-)

Ditto the parallel version of the mandelbrot set renderer.  It would
need to be rewritten in quad precision resolution, I think, to make it
slow enough single CPU to show good scaling.  It's not that it doesn't
still speed things up, only that you can't SEE things sped up when it
just flickers (almost) straight up on the screen either way.

A really complicated image with POVray might still do it, though, one
with lots of shading and aliasing and lots of objects.  The default
demo, though, is pretty fast on a multi-GHz CPU even one at a time.

    rgb