[Beowulf] Good demo applications for small, slow cluster

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 09:57:06 PDT 2013

Regarding
"...There are probably simple algorithms which are
efficient in a single processor environment, but become egregiously
inefficient when distributed..."
What about the old random number generator: take a 16 bit seed, square it,
take the middle 16 bits, and repeat. They'd want a large number in order
(so you can repeat an experiment, or a run of a model, with the same
"random" numbers), and it's easy to computer sequentially; but if you want
a million of them it would be nice to distribute the job, but I don't think
you can. But maybe "can't parallelize" isn't the same as "badly inefficient
to parallelize".
But I'd use something like that (besides the famous example that 9 women
can't make a baby in one month) as an algrorithm that has to be done
sequentially.
Peter