[Beowulf] NVIDIA buying PGI

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Thu Aug 1 14:39:22 PDT 2013

On 08/ 2/13 04:21 AM, Joe Landman wrote:
> So ... you are making the presumption that this reduction in compiler
> target will occur.
>
> Your argument amounts to "once something is created and put out in the
> market, it is anticompetitive to change it in such a way as to reduce
> support for one possible platform, irrespective of increases of support
> in others."
>
> Am I reading this correctly?  Are you making the claim that features and
> targets must be carried *forever* (as in until the heat death of the
> universe) lest they be deemed "anti-competitive"?
>
> Ok, quickie poll on Beowulf:
>
> a) whom is running Intel and/or AMD kit?
> b) whom is considering running new AMD kit?
> c) whom would reconsider if PG end-of-lifed (which I think is Dave's
> speculation) the AMD targeted compiler?
> d) whom doesn't really care about PG's eol status
d), but I'm biased ;)

No need for this conversation to be heated - It's clear this is a
strategic acquisition meant to strengthen their (NV) market position and
has the *potential* to define future programming models.

More importantly - do you care if PG doesn't support OpenMP 4? What
really makes them unique enough for people to care?