[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Max R. Dechantsreiter max at performancejones.com
Wed Apr 24 12:51:45 PDT 2013

John,

> I may be wrong, but it is not that the cached pages are needed by this job or the last job.
> It is that the last job has caused buffer cache to be used, which fills up memory on one or more NUMA nodes.
> When the new job starts it allocates memory - if it finds memory is full on one NUMA node you will get NUMA misses,
> which lead to slower memory access.

That rings a bell.  Like many things to which I've become habituated,
I've lost their origins in the mists of Time. :)

Being a consulting benchmarker, I would be happy to help anyone evaluate
and increase the efficiency of their application load.

> Me, I come place myself in the camp of one job / one node (or one job / lots of nodes)

A fan of predictable performance, eh? :)

Regards,

Max