[Beowulf] Xi3 computers

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Apr 24 06:47:27 PDT 2013

Beowulfers,

Have any of you seen these computers from Xi3 yet? I've been getting
e-mails from them for some time now. I'm assuming they got my e-mail
address from SC12. Anyway, instead of just blindly deleting the one I
received yesterday, I decided to actually check out their products.
They're tiny, energy efficient computers in sexy packaging.

http://www.xi3.com

They have an X7A model that's supposed to be as powerful as a full-size
desktop (it's being marketed to gamers), but be extremely energy
efficient. If you could put enough of them together, you could possibly
create a relatively dense, energy efficient cluster. They must have the
same idea in mind already, because they are working on the Xi3
Datacent3r, a small mobile 'datacenter', which you can see at the bottom
of this news article on their website.

http://www.xi3.com/news.php?id=829

Granted, that's only with 1 GbE ethernet, but with their modular design,
they could easily provide a 10GbE module or even a IB module.

Thoughts? Discussion?

--
Prentice