[Beowulf] HP Moonshot also with AMD Kyoto

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Mon Apr 15 20:57:19 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 08:27 PM, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Joe Landman
> <landman at scalableinformatics.com
> <mailto:landman at scalableinformatics.com>> wrote:
>  > This is getting very non-HPC/Beowulf-ish.  My last public post on
>  > this.   Email me offline if you want to continue the discussion.
>
> Pease forgive me for continuing this discussion online. It was focused
> on the matter of copyright and advertising revenue - which are indeed
> rather orthogonal to HPC, and missed other factors which I find important.

Please don't apologize -- no apologies are necessary.  If people don't
like where a thread is going, they can feel free to spend all of .1s
deleting the subsequent emails in the thread.  We tolerate all sorts of
characters on this list for far worse than a very legitimate discussion
on copyright and advertising revenue RELATIVE to HPC and Beowulfery,
which does indeed need the people that already write on it.

> I joined this list at the end of 1998 and in all these years I've
> learned a LOT from it. The most interesting posts (for me, at least) are
> the ones expressing opinions, not only facts.

I agree 100% with this.  If you are going to post an article, REGARDLESS
of whether it is full-text, snippet-format, or just the link, PLEASE say
something about what you are posting beyond "Oh hey check it out!"  This
isn't an RSS-feed.

> Secondly, I value a lot having an author's idea communicated in the way
> he/she thought would be best. In this case, I very much like to see
> links, emphasis (color, underline, bold or italic text), pictures, etc.
[..]

> And finally, a full article post goes to _all_ subscribers of this list.
> This is associated with server and network load, which is gracefully

I think the consensus is:
1. We all appreciate the writers that have been mentioned thus far and
encourage them to keep doing what they are doing, and generally are
willing to go to the site to support them doing so.
2. We all appreciate and want to make sure our gracious host doesn't get
in trouble, and anxiously await some moderator to comment on what the
"right thing to do" from the policy-book is.
3. A very high fraction of us (myself included) prefer snippets or just
links, with OPINION INCLUDED, to just a full article circulated without
the latter.

I still conjecture academically (and will continue the discussion
off-line, sorry Joe, have been busy) that what Eugen did wasn't as evil
or categorically wrong as others have lead the list to believe, but I
will agree that the topic has probably run its course in the public forum.

Best,

ellis