[Beowulf] Checkpointing using flash

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:14:40 PDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 10:56 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> [...]

Haha, I doubt it -- probably the opposite in terms of development cost.
  Which is why I question the original statement on the grounds that
"cost" isn't well defined.  Maybe the costs just performance-wise, but
that's not even clear to me when we consider things at huge scales.

I think the MapReduce framework actually makes a good case for
(admittedly non-general, fairly sequential workloads) the ability for
software to cheaply and at reasonable performance scale with added
hardware.  Don't expect to do any real physics on MR of course, but for
huge data crunches it is quite nice.  A /totally/ general framework that
scales on a number of platforms is one of those cure-alls we aren't
likely to see for a decade or three.  Just my pessimistic perspective
though :D.

Best,

ellis