[Beowulf] In appropriate post (was "In the news again HPC in Iceland")

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 24 07:14:56 PDT 2012


And they also manufacture their X-series SUVs in Spartanburg, South 
Carolina, USA.

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/

On 09/21/2012 10:40 PM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> BMW make their 'Flagship' new mini in the UK near oxford and also own
> Rolls Royce (cars).
>
> 2012/9/21 Vincent Diepeveen<diep at xs4all.nl>:
>> A NATO bunker doesn't even have enough power to run 0.01% of the
>> crunching power of BMW,
>> which is of course a lot larger, as far as generic crunching
>> hardware, than what NCSA has in total.
>>
>> Furthermore they wouldn't even run a single BMW program in Iceland
>> without the prime minister of iceland
>> formally allowing machine gunned armed German soldiers defending that
>> complex to avoid any
>> possible left US soldier of obtaining their biggest industrial
>> secrets making it to US car industry.
>>
>> And all this with a few internet cables to the seismic very active
>> Iceland (over 3000 earth quakes a year or so,
>> what was it?), with cables which regurarly break, as i noticed myself
>> as well when i was in Iceland.
>>
>> 30% of the time internet didn't even work for entire day to
>> continental Europe.
>>
>> Imagine that BMW has a week delay when a few icelanders try to fix
>> the internet cable 3 KM down deep in the ocean,
>> needed to connect to Munchen when they try to fix a crucial thing in
>> cars that have a problem now and need an upgrade...
>>
>> That's losing Germany how many billions?
>>
>> So let's not believe in fairy tales.
>>
>> Don't make a joke out of German car industry by posting articles as
>> if they would be able to carry out any of their huge HPC
>> calculations in Iceland. It's not even possible to carry out any
>> serious calculation in Iceland and especially not in an old NATO
>> bunker not
>> within German borders and not under their own nations control. Not a
>> single German manager would even *consider* doing that.
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>
>>> No, you think it's a lie.
>>>
>>> This is inappropriate for this list.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Prentice
>>>
>>> On 09/21/2012 11:16 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>>> you post something about HPC in iceleand, but we all know that's a
>>>> lie.
>>>> That's what i wrote.
>>>>
>>>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 4:50 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Vincent,
>>>>>
>>>>> The beowulf mailing list is for discussing matters related Linux
>>>>> beowulf
>>>>> clusters, and HPC in general. In practice, this list has always
>>>>> allowed
>>>>> a lot of leeway and discussions often veer of tangentially into the
>>>>> science, technology, and the business/politics surrounding HPC.
>>>>>
>>>>> Even with the large amount of leeway observed on this list, your
>>>>> post
>>>>> below is inappropriate. After reading it several times, your post
>>>>> appears to contain nothing more than a political attack on
>>>>> Germany. I
>>>>> can find nothing in your post related to Linux clusters, HPC,
>>>>> science or
>>>>> technology.
>>>>>
>>>>> There are plenty of forums on the Internet for discussing
>>>>> politics. This
>>>>> is not one of them. Please post your political attacks elsewhere.
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Prentice
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 09/21/2012 10:21 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>>>>> Typical German marketing.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Say A, do B.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Knowing how German industry works, they probably will deploy one
>>>>>> computer there when they sell a few more BMW's in Iceland.
>>>>>> In the meantime their top secret crunching runs on browncoals in
>>>>>> Germany of course.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> A lot cheaper than 4.3 cents a kilowatt hour browncoals are.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> An article today in the newspaper suggested German Minister
>>>>>> Altmaier
>>>>>> announced more or less he wants to quit solar panel
>>>>>> subsidies, and for now announces to dramatically lower it,
>>>>>> which of course in combination with getting rid of nuclear reactors
>>>>>> means they're gonna burn even more coals in Germany,
>>>>>> as *somewhere* they need this huge amount of energy for their
>>>>>> industry. We're speaking about a 50000 megawatt or so.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Usually they calculate with householeds and ignore the 90-95% of
>>>>>> energy that companies and especially industry consumes...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Germany is world champion in saying A and doing B.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Another news article about datacenters and HPC in Iceland.
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>> Prentice
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-09-20/
>>>>>>> bmw_finds_cool_locale_for_hpc_cluster.html
>>>>>>> September 20, 2012
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> BMW Finds Cool Locale for HPC Cluster
>>>>>>> Robert Gelber
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Automaker BMW is getting ready to deploy an HPC cluster to run
>>>>>>> simulations for designing it next-generation ultimate driving
>>>>>>> machines. As with any supercomputing installation, this one is
>>>>>>> bound to consume plenty of energy, which translates to high
>>>>>>> operational expenses. So the car company decided to search for an
>>>>>>> efficient and environmentally friendly plan to manage their
>>>>>>> system.
>>>>>>> They settled on locating the machine at Verne Global’s Ásbrú
>>>>>>> datacenter in Iceland.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> September 20, 2012
>>>>>>> BMW Finds Cool Locale for HPC Cluster
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Robert Gelber
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Automaker BMW is getting ready to deploy an HPC cluster to run
>>>>>>> simulations for designing it next-generation ultimate driving
>>>>>>> machines. As with any supercomputing installation, this one is
>>>>>>> bound to consume plenty of energy, which translates to high
>>>>>>> operational expenses. So the car company decided to search for an
>>>>>>> efficient and environmentally friendly plan to manage their
>>>>>>> system.
>>>>>>> They settled on locating the machine at Verne Global’s Ásbrú
>>>>>>> datacenter in Iceland.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> The country has become an interesting option for datacenter users
>>>>>>> because of its perpetually cool climate and cheap energy.
>>>>>>> Electricity in the island nation costs roughly 4.3 cents per
>>>>>>> kilowatt-hour, thanks to an abundance of renewable energy sources.
>>>>>>> The country generates most of its electricity from glacier-fed
>>>>>>> rivers and geothermal vents. Given these resources, it’s no
>>>>>>> surprise that Verne Global decided to setup their large scale
>>>>>>> computing facility at an abandoned NATO Air Force base located in
>>>>>>> the city of Keflavík.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Data Center Knowledge reported that Mario Mueller, BMW’s vice
>>>>>>> president of IT infrastructure and chair at the Open Data Center
>>>>>>> Alliance (ODCA), brought up the company’s plans at this year’s
>>>>>>> Intel Developer Forum. The car company will be Verne Global’s
>>>>>>> fifth
>>>>>>> customer after CCP Games, Datapipe, Opin Kerfi and GreenQloud.  It
>>>>>>> will also follow ODCA usage models to guide the cluster’s build.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is certainly not the first time a company or organization has
>>>>>>> considered alternative approaches to providing energy and cooling
>>>>>>> to a large computing installation. Apple is utilizing solar panels
>>>>>>> and methane gas from a local landfill to generate electricity for
>>>>>>> their iCloud datacenter. The Texas Advanced Computing Center
>>>>>>> (TACC)
>>>>>>> deployed a top 10 cluster in an oil submersion cooling system and
>>>>>>> Facebook built one of the world’s most efficient datacenters in
>>>>>>> Prineville Oregon using designs from the Open Compute Project.The
>>>>>>> country has become an interesting option for datacenter users
>>>>>>> because of its perpetually cool climate and cheap energy.
>>>>>>> Electricity in the island nation costs roughly 4.3 cents per
>>>>>>> kilowatt-hour, thanks to an abundance of renewable energy sources.
>>>>>>> The country generates most of its electricity from glacier-fed
>>>>>>> rivers and geothermal vents. Given these resources, it’s no
>>>>>>> surprise that Verne Global decided to setup their large scale
>>>>>>> computing facility at an abandoned NATO Air Force base located in
>>>>>>> the city of Keflavík.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Data Center Knowledge reported that Mario Mueller, BMW’s vice
>>>>>>> president of IT infrastructure and chair at the Open Data Center
>>>>>>> Alliance (ODCA), brought up the company’s plans at this year’s
>>>>>>> Intel Developer Forum. The car company will be Verne Global’s
>>>>>>> fifth
>>>>>>> customer after CCP Games, Datapipe, Opin Kerfi and GreenQloud.  It
>>>>>>> will also follow ODCA usage models to guide the cluster’s build.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> This is certainly not the first time a company or organization has
>>>>>>> considered alternative approaches to providing energy and cooling
>>>>>>> to a large computing installation. Apple is utilizing solar panels
>>>>>>> and methane gas from a local landfill to generate electricity for
>>>>>>> their iCloud datacenter. The Texas Advanced Computing Center
>>>>>>> (TACC)
>>>>>>> deployed a top 10 cluster in an oil submersion cooling system and
>>>>>>> Facebook built one of the world’s most efficient datacenters in
>>>>>>> Prineville Oregon using designs from the Open Compute Project.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>>>>> Computing
>>>>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>>>> Computing
>>>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>>> Computing
>>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>> _______________________________________________
>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin Computing
>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf


More information about the Beowulf mailing list