[Beowulf] In appropriate post (was "In the news again HPC in Iceland")

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:40:43 PDT 2012


BMW make their 'Flagship' new mini in the UK near oxford and also own
Rolls Royce (cars).

2012/9/21 Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl>:
> A NATO bunker doesn't even have enough power to run 0.01% of the
> crunching power of BMW,
> which is of course a lot larger, as far as generic crunching
> hardware, than what NCSA has in total.
>
> Furthermore they wouldn't even run a single BMW program in Iceland
> without the prime minister of iceland
> formally allowing machine gunned armed German soldiers defending that
> complex to avoid any
> possible left US soldier of obtaining their biggest industrial
> secrets making it to US car industry.
>
> And all this with a few internet cables to the seismic very active
> Iceland (over 3000 earth quakes a year or so,
> what was it?), with cables which regurarly break, as i noticed myself
> as well when i was in Iceland.
>
> 30% of the time internet didn't even work for entire day to
> continental Europe.
>
> Imagine that BMW has a week delay when a few icelanders try to fix
> the internet cable 3 KM down deep in the ocean,
> needed to connect to Munchen when they try to fix a crucial thing in
> cars that have a problem now and need an upgrade...
>
> That's losing Germany how many billions?
>
> So let's not believe in fairy tales.
>
> Don't make a joke out of German car industry by posting articles as
> if they would be able to carry out any of their huge HPC
> calculations in Iceland. It's not even possible to carry out any
> serious calculation in Iceland and especially not in an old NATO
> bunker not
> within German borders and not under their own nations control. Not a
> single German manager would even *consider* doing that.
>
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>
>> No, you think it's a lie.
>>
>> This is inappropriate for this list.
>>
>> --
>> Prentice
>>
>> On 09/21/2012 11:16 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>> you post something about HPC in iceleand, but we all know that's a
>>> lie.
>>> That's what i wrote.
>>>
>>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 4:50 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>>
>>>> Vincent,
>>>>
>>>> The beowulf mailing list is for discussing matters related Linux
>>>> beowulf
>>>> clusters, and HPC in general. In practice, this list has always
>>>> allowed
>>>> a lot of leeway and discussions often veer of tangentially into the
>>>> science, technology, and the business/politics surrounding HPC.
>>>>
>>>> Even with the large amount of leeway observed on this list, your
>>>> post
>>>> below is inappropriate. After reading it several times, your post
>>>> appears to contain nothing more than a political attack on
>>>> Germany. I
>>>> can find nothing in your post related to Linux clusters, HPC,
>>>> science or
>>>> technology.
>>>>
>>>> There are plenty of forums on the Internet for discussing
>>>> politics. This
>>>> is not one of them. Please post your political attacks elsewhere.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Prentice
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 09/21/2012 10:21 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>>>> Typical German marketing.
>>>>>
>>>>> Say A, do B.
>>>>>
>>>>> Knowing how German industry works, they probably will deploy one
>>>>> computer there when they sell a few more BMW's in Iceland.
>>>>> In the meantime their top secret crunching runs on browncoals in
>>>>> Germany of course.
>>>>>
>>>>> A lot cheaper than 4.3 cents a kilowatt hour browncoals are.
>>>>>
>>>>> An article today in the newspaper suggested German Minister
>>>>> Altmaier
>>>>> announced more or less he wants to quit solar panel
>>>>> subsidies, and for now announces to dramatically lower it,
>>>>> which of course in combination with getting rid of nuclear reactors
>>>>> means they're gonna burn even more coals in Germany,
>>>>> as *somewhere* they need this huge amount of energy for their
>>>>> industry. We're speaking about a 50000 megawatt or so.
>>>>>
>>>>> Usually they calculate with householeds and ignore the 90-95% of
>>>>> energy that companies and especially industry consumes...
>>>>>
>>>>> Germany is world champion in saying A and doing B.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 3:52 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Another news article about datacenters and HPC in Iceland.
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Prentice
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-09-20/
>>>>>> bmw_finds_cool_locale_for_hpc_cluster.html
>>>>>> September 20, 2012
>>>>>>
>>>>>> BMW Finds Cool Locale for HPC Cluster
>>>>>> Robert Gelber
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Automaker BMW is getting ready to deploy an HPC cluster to run
>>>>>> simulations for designing it next-generation ultimate driving
>>>>>> machines. As with any supercomputing installation, this one is
>>>>>> bound to consume plenty of energy, which translates to high
>>>>>> operational expenses. So the car company decided to search for an
>>>>>> efficient and environmentally friendly plan to manage their
>>>>>> system.
>>>>>> They settled on locating the machine at Verne Global’s Ásbrú
>>>>>> datacenter in Iceland.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> September 20, 2012
>>>>>> BMW Finds Cool Locale for HPC Cluster
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Robert Gelber
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Automaker BMW is getting ready to deploy an HPC cluster to run
>>>>>> simulations for designing it next-generation ultimate driving
>>>>>> machines. As with any supercomputing installation, this one is
>>>>>> bound to consume plenty of energy, which translates to high
>>>>>> operational expenses. So the car company decided to search for an
>>>>>> efficient and environmentally friendly plan to manage their
>>>>>> system.
>>>>>> They settled on locating the machine at Verne Global’s Ásbrú
>>>>>> datacenter in Iceland.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The country has become an interesting option for datacenter users
>>>>>> because of its perpetually cool climate and cheap energy.
>>>>>> Electricity in the island nation costs roughly 4.3 cents per
>>>>>> kilowatt-hour, thanks to an abundance of renewable energy sources.
>>>>>> The country generates most of its electricity from glacier-fed
>>>>>> rivers and geothermal vents. Given these resources, it’s no
>>>>>> surprise that Verne Global decided to setup their large scale
>>>>>> computing facility at an abandoned NATO Air Force base located in
>>>>>> the city of Keflavík.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Data Center Knowledge reported that Mario Mueller, BMW’s vice
>>>>>> president of IT infrastructure and chair at the Open Data Center
>>>>>> Alliance (ODCA), brought up the company’s plans at this year’s
>>>>>> Intel Developer Forum. The car company will be Verne Global’s
>>>>>> fifth
>>>>>> customer after CCP Games, Datapipe, Opin Kerfi and GreenQloud.  It
>>>>>> will also follow ODCA usage models to guide the cluster’s build.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is certainly not the first time a company or organization has
>>>>>> considered alternative approaches to providing energy and cooling
>>>>>> to a large computing installation. Apple is utilizing solar panels
>>>>>> and methane gas from a local landfill to generate electricity for
>>>>>> their iCloud datacenter. The Texas Advanced Computing Center
>>>>>> (TACC)
>>>>>> deployed a top 10 cluster in an oil submersion cooling system and
>>>>>> Facebook built one of the world’s most efficient datacenters in
>>>>>> Prineville Oregon using designs from the Open Compute Project.The
>>>>>> country has become an interesting option for datacenter users
>>>>>> because of its perpetually cool climate and cheap energy.
>>>>>> Electricity in the island nation costs roughly 4.3 cents per
>>>>>> kilowatt-hour, thanks to an abundance of renewable energy sources.
>>>>>> The country generates most of its electricity from glacier-fed
>>>>>> rivers and geothermal vents. Given these resources, it’s no
>>>>>> surprise that Verne Global decided to setup their large scale
>>>>>> computing facility at an abandoned NATO Air Force base located in
>>>>>> the city of Keflavík.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Data Center Knowledge reported that Mario Mueller, BMW’s vice
>>>>>> president of IT infrastructure and chair at the Open Data Center
>>>>>> Alliance (ODCA), brought up the company’s plans at this year’s
>>>>>> Intel Developer Forum. The car company will be Verne Global’s
>>>>>> fifth
>>>>>> customer after CCP Games, Datapipe, Opin Kerfi and GreenQloud.  It
>>>>>> will also follow ODCA usage models to guide the cluster’s build.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> This is certainly not the first time a company or organization has
>>>>>> considered alternative approaches to providing energy and cooling
>>>>>> to a large computing installation. Apple is utilizing solar panels
>>>>>> and methane gas from a local landfill to generate electricity for
>>>>>> their iCloud datacenter. The Texas Advanced Computing Center
>>>>>> (TACC)
>>>>>> deployed a top 10 cluster in an oil submersion cooling system and
>>>>>> Facebook built one of the world’s most efficient datacenters in
>>>>>> Prineville Oregon using designs from the Open Compute Project.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>>>> Computing
>>>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>>> Computing
>>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin
>>>> Computing
>>>> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit
>>>> http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
>>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org sponsored by Penguin Computing
> To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf


More information about the Beowulf mailing list