[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 01:56:56 PDT 2012

Dear all,

really good advice here!

I would like to add something: For a smaller cluster and if you don't want to
use puppet, what I am doing is I am rsync the nodes from a local directory on
the headnode. That way I can update the software easily by simply adding it to
the node-directory on the headnode and run rsync on the nodes.

As you are doing an PXE on the nodes, you might want to add something like
memtest and I also have installed an NFS boot here as well. So if there is a
problem with then node I can look into it (memtest for memory, any other issue
like disc problems the NFS boot is good for it). I am also using the NFS boot
for the installation (same as above: copy the files over via rsync).

I hope that helps a bit.

All the best from London

Jörg