[Beowulf] General thoughts on Xeon 56xx versus E5 series?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 14 04:15:53 PDT 2012

AVX roughly 25% faster for the fastest prime number transforms as
used by GIMPS.
That is boost by just AVX over the previous SSE 4.2 and similar codes.

Code is still in beta.

See for more details postings there www.mersenneforum.org

However it is unclear how much of that can be attributed to improved
transform optimizations overall and
faster multiplication instruction on the newer i7's.

These codes are so optimal that you feel the throughput constraints
of the multiplication instruction.

Note that this library is floating point. The other library used a
lot is integer code. It's overall slower than the floating point,
yet it's advantage is that it is lossless, so objectively it's a lot
better.

For the biggest transforms that use big clusters, it is easier to use
integer transforms.

The AVX floating point runs on what can be run at a single machine.