[Beowulf] NAT Tracks (flying over iceland)

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 5 16:45:16 PDT 2012

Over the North Atlantic, where radar and radio coverage is poor, airlines follow what are called the NAT Tracks, to enforce separation, etc. between FL285 and FL420 (28,500 and 42,000 ft pressure altitude)
They are not geodesics (great circle) paths, but are optimized for current forecast winds (and separation) for minimum time enroute. They change every day.. and are actually unidirectional (i.e. everyone is going the same direction along the tracks, depending on the time of day)

Think of it like a multilane highway in the air with a tightly enforced following distance.  You are responsible for hitting your waypoints within a certain lateral deviation and at a particular time.   Yeah, there's GPS and satellite phones these days, but not everyone has that, and the Air Traffic Control business is big into standard procedures, everyone following the procedure, and not making customized changes.  That way, if communications fails, everything still works, and planes don't fall out of the sky after colliding.   If the wind forecast is wrong, it's ok, because everyone is equally affected.

They were used as a target for over-the-horizon HF radar testing, as well.

It was a big deal back in the late 60s when the Carousel (?) Inertial Nav System was introduced for the 747, as well as worldwide nav systems like Omega.  You didn't have to do star sights enroute any more, since the "black box" met the "Minimum Navigational Performance Standards".    If you couldn't do the MNPS, you had to do island hopping across the north atlantic (what people in small planes did).  North east Canada (Goose Bay?), Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, etc.  airports and routes redolent of history. (heck, it's the same route followed by John Cabot in a boat, for all practical purposes).  There were articles in flying magazines about doing the trip:  I was thinking of it in the early 80s, just after I got my pilot's license.  Load some 55 gallon drums of fuel in the back seat, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks has a good explanation.

Jim Lux