[Beowulf] propagation velocity in cables

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 5 16:43:39 PDT 2012

hi Jim,

Thanks for a more technical explanation. Difficult to interpret for
me though.
The 1/3 speed someone gave to me some years ago.

Litterally quote : "electrons move at 1/3 of the lightspeed through
copper"

Maybe signal speed is not the same like electron speed?

Would be very interesting if he said that wrong, as he has a degree
here, Phd cum laude in Natural Science and he
improved something or better disproved something that has to do with
quantum mechanics or something, basically
he calculates everything about particles such as 'electrons' (my words),
so i didn't verify all this, yet assumed what he said.

The most important question: what is the effective speed of signals
through ocean cables?

We can safely assume they use fastest speed for this.

When i drove past that financial industry bunker in Land's End it
seemed pretty solid to me.

The interesting question is that big satellite disk on the roof as well.
Microwave is simply civil allowed frequency i was told. Around
2800Mhz or so?
How fast is such communication?

Using a powerful laser would it somehow be possible to rival speeds
of these cables?