[Beowulf] Collocation in Iceland?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 5 11:40:31 PDT 2012

It's from 2010 and it's about arbitrage with a few assumptions.

His assumption is that from 1 location you need to reach more than 2
exchanges.
This assumption is wrong.

To make money on the exchange in 99% of cases i'd guess all you need to
compare 2 different instruments, so that requirest 2 exchanges and
based upon
that you can make money.

Using more than 2 means you'll lose money of course.

If i draw a straight line from worlds largest interesting exchange
which is Chicago
and i draw a line from there to London and from London to mainland
Europe,

Then Iceland is not in the middle of that, but about 2000 kilometers
north of that line
through the ocean.

Furthermore it's questionable why one would need a line through a
volcanic island,
i foresee that this would be a bad investment.

Now the next question this report raises, besides that he used wrong
numbers to do his math,
starting with latencies; you can see that even a simple software
program that IBM released had
already back in 2010 latencies from not much over 10 microseconds, so
the math done by this
professor is a factor 50 off in his assumption; whereas some FPGA
solutions already offered
it under 2 microseconds by then had he googled a tad.

So his assumption to build "in the middle" a datacenter is too much
of a delay.

You want a direct cable connection from your computer at 1 exchange
directly
to your computer at the datacenter of that other exchange.

Having a datacenter in Iceland is gonna cost lots of cash, say a
million or 100,
and it's going to lose from the existing connections that are there
which aren't
losing that 3000+ kilometers of distance nor get slowed down by yet
another datacenter
in the middle.

The next mistake is the number of exchanges he assumes. He seems to
not distinguish between
total uninteresting spots on the planet, such as New York, versus CME
(Chicago)
which is rather interesting being worlds largest exchange where you
can trade in say for
example futures.

Knowing there isn't too many exchanges on this planet and most are
rather tiny or just for a particular
market, you'll end up with no more than half a dozen interesting
exchanges to lay a cable to.

So He could have done a way easier research.

In fact we can also throw away some other exchanges. Say entire China
we can skip.
They don't pay out much of a dividend in China. Probably ends up in
their own pockets as
well as party members that are in power nearby that factory.

Based upon dividend payout, China is a very tiny nation.
So there is nothing to speculate about.

I see around a 7 big red dots in his report nearby China whereas only
Japan is interesting.

Now i realize that this makes his math seem like useless as for his
math he needs many datapoints
and assumptions. In fact he assumed there is 52 interesting exchanges.

Now maybe somewhere in future some interesting things will start to
happen in Africa,
but we'll have to wait for that for now.

If such exchange in Africa gets interesting in the future a direct
line from Chicago to Africa you do not
want to lay through a vulcanic island that in the first place had a
majority of its population vote to steal cash
from saving accounts from The Netherlands and UK . (google for icesave)

It's not a properly run nation.

Kind Regards,
Vincent