[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Sep 5 10:56:13 PDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 10:53 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:54:55AM -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

>>> A major advantage of these forthcoming ARM server systems is that
>>> they are air-coolable, and in fact even convection-aircoolable,
>>> if you add a suitable funnel on top of the rack.
>> Existing systems are already air-cooled by convection.  Anything that is
>> being cooled by the movement of air is convection* When we use fans in
>> our servers, it's forced convection. Did you mean natural convection,
>> where there the air density difference (caused by the temperature
>> difference) causes the movement of air, without any fans?
> Yes.
>
>> Where does the funnel come in? To reduce drag that would hinder the
>> natural convection?
> Sorry, chimney, not funnel. To generate draft, via a column of hot air.
> The same mechanism as in an oven.

Ahhh. Gotcha. if you said chimney, I would have know exactly what you
meant. That makes perfect sense. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> Speaking of which, do you know how a rocket mass heater (supposedly) works? It has
> no chimney but only horizontal exhaust. The only way how that makes sense is something
> like a stationary scramjet.

Never heard of a rocket mass heater before, so I had to google. I know
how masonry heaters work. From the pictures I saw online and what I read
in Wikipedia, there is a vertical internal chimney. This is the "rocket"
part. It generates enough of a draft to push the flue gases through the
rest of the heater, and allows the gases to exit horizonltally. I would
have to read more to understand how it works.