[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 5 10:48:47 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Ellis H. Wilson III
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:00 AM
To: Robert G. Brown
Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath
This is what I was getting at in my first response when I said, "One big concern from my perspective is replacing equipment in these boxes."  I know and agree that currently Google relies on very COTS equipment (and I agree they will in the future) that can be popped in and out rapidly (this part may not be necessary in the future), but I think this has a STRONG correlation with the need for them to make sure that:
1. Since they are using air-chilling, they need to keep all those containers reasonably close to the chillers

--- If the cold water/air heat exchanger is in the container, you can be a long way from the cooling plant.   1km wouldn't be unusual: insulated pipes to send steam or cold brine are a standard and inexpensive item.