[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Sep 4 21:38:51 PDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 12:28 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> But as long as we're talking quarrys and such, what about the scheme of
> building a big pit to fill full of ice during the winter, and melting it
> during the summer. (assuming you are in a
> less-than-wonderful-un-California-like climate where this would work.)

I bet a good business case could be made for something like this.  The
west coast of Michigan is rich in having good wind availability and an
excellent (and visible from space) reservoir of very cold water that
could be used in heat exchangers to cool data centers.  Use the cool air
during the cooler months, and the cold water during the warmer months.

Given the proximity to Chicago, I'd think it would make for a good
business to house LOTS of servers in a naturally well air conditioned
environment.    I can't imagine that the AC bill in Secaucus and
elsewhere in New Jersey is very pleasant.  Could ring the Great Lakes
with these.

A shame I don't have the capital to do this.  Bet we could sell out the
space.  Without using oil, hydrogen/helium, or LN2.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com