[Beowulf] Inside the Titan Supercomputer: 299K AMD x86 Cores and 18.6K NVIDIA GPUs

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 31 06:17:21 PDT 2012

Let's see. PDF about K20 says:

K20 gpgpu: "3x the double precision performance compared to the
previous generation... M2090.."

M2090 : 665 gflop.

See: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla-servers.html

A theoretic peak of: 18.6k * 0.665 tflop * 3 = 37.107 Pflop

That's very impressive!

Note i assume the newer AMD cpu's were used becasue of their
agreggated bandwidth and low price
when ordering that many. In itself these cpu's are not showing much
of a performance.

In fact previous generation 12 core opterons are faster for my chess
software - yet that doesn't need big bandwidth
and doesn't require floating point - it's just integer code.

The real impressive step forwards is of course the K20.
Factor 3 over previous generation is a BIG STEP FORWARD.

I wonder what individual price of such gpu will be!