[Beowulf] Degree

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 25 05:37:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Joe Landman wrote:

> On 10/24/2012 04:25 PM, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
>
>> Just my (admittedly biased) 2c of course, but I am very interested to be
>> corrected here if there are some secret society components to a "hard
>> science" PhD I'm unaware of.
>
> The first rule of the secret society is, don't talk about the secret
> society ... er ... Do'h!

Well, there was the propeller-top beanie and hazing when I first arrived
at graduate school, the secret physics handshake, the decoder ring, and
the wierd robes they made us wear in quantum mechanics "to keep us safe
from virtual photons", but by in large, no.  I mean, except for The
Ritual.  But I can't talk about that.  They'd kick me out of the club.

     rgb