[Beowulf] Degree

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 24 09:49:10 PDT 2012

On 10/24/12 7:50 AM, "Vincent Diepeveen" <diep at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>As for Germany, realize that in vaste majority of IT related
>companies there, you won't even get a manager without PHD degree.
>My shelves here are overloaded with PHD thesises from German guys
>which i would qualify as 'management paper'. Utter useless
>writings - you can waste hours reading it and it just wastes your time.

Partly this might be the differences between the BS,MS,PhD system in
England and US and the Diplom, Doktor, Professor aspect in Germany,
especially with a Diplom Ing from a FachHochschulen.  All changing of
course what with harmonization among the EU..

But, in any case, I think "Doktor" in Germany (essentially a professional
qualification) is quite different from "PhD" in the US (an academic