[Beowulf] BMW Shifts Supercomputing To Iceland To Save Emissions

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Oct 15 08:34:11 PDT 2012

It's all about stability of costs. (cheap deals and long term contracts)  After all, from a "user" standpoint, whether the cluster is in the next room or a continent away doesn’t make much difference.  Presumably the application is not one requiring millisecond latencies

Mind you, I'm a huge fan of small clusters under a single person's control, where nobody is watching to see if you are making 'effective utilization' and you can do whatever you want.  A personal supercomputer, as it were.   But I recognize that for much of the HPC world, clusters are managed in the same way as big iron mainframes were in the 70s, with the convenience that you don't have to hike down to the computer center (or closer RJE node) with your box of cards and come back later to pick up your stack of green-bar paper.

Jim Lux